In this two-day course, students learn how to use the semi-automatic rifle or carbine for self-defense. All aspects of defensive rifle shooting from near to far are addressed.
Students gain the skills to deploy the rifle in an array of practical defensive shooting scenarios as well as the knowledge required to select a defensive rifle and support equipment.
This is an intermediate level class. The student needs to know and be able to demonstrate safe gun handling, weapon system familiarity, and foundational marksmanship skills. Rifle Fundamentals and Handgun 102 strongly recommended.
Students failing to meet and maintain our safety requirements and/or who cannot meet and immediately demonstrate the minimum skills required for the specific class may be removed from training. Please ensure you have read through the class description and fully understand our prerequisites before registering.
Lesson plan will cover the following areas:
- Choose a rifle and support equipment to support defensive needs
- Manipulate the rifle efficiently and effectively
- Improve marksmanship fundamentals
- Zero a rifle
- Utilize ready positions
- Efficiently and effectively reload a rifle
- Ammo management skills / tactical reloads
- Transition from rifle to pistol
- Transition the rifle bilaterally
- Clear malfunctions
- Engage multiple targets with efficiency
- Engage targets utilizing pivots/turns and lateral movement
- Improve accuracy from prone, kneeling, and seated positions
- Properly utilize cover
- Shoot, move, communicate skills
- Firearm Types: Semi-automatic rifle or carbine with sling (calibers supported: .300 BLK, 5.56, 7.62NATO, 7.62x39)
- 3 magazines
- Magazine pouches
- Defensive handgun
- 3 handgun magazines minimum
- Belt mounted holster and mag pouches
- Sturdy belt at least 1.5” wide
- Footwear suitable for rapid movement and turning
- Clothing suitable for training in any weather
- Shooting gloves
- Knee and elbow pads
- Hydration system
- Hat with a brim
- Wraparound eyewear, polycarbonate lenses or non-shattering prescription glasses
- Earmuffs and earplugs
Tuition includes free loan of firearms, holsters, safety glasses and hearing protection at the Epping, NH location.
- Estimated round count: 800 rounds rifle, 50 rounds handgun
- Ammunition is available for purchase from the Epping facility