This class is intended to provide the training necessary for a properly equipped Armed Professional to successfully engage a target(s) from distances up to 300 yards, therefore bridging the gap between the standard Patrol Rifle and "there’s no time to wait for a SWAT Sniper".
The Designated Marksman training course is not a Sniper class. It is not a Patrol Rifle class. It is a class that falls in the middle of both skills. Standard patrol rifles may not have the ballistic capability needed to stop a threat either protected by equipment or cover or beyond the effective reach of that caliber. There may not be time to wait for a SWAT Sniper. What do you do? A properly trained and equipped specialist can fill that gap.
Students failing to meet and maintain our safety requirements and/or who cannot meet and immediately demonstrate the minimum skills required for the specific class may be removed from training. Please ensure you have read through the class description and fully understand our prerequisites before registering.
The following are some of the topics you can expect to cover in this class:
- DM type weapon systems
- DM type optics
- Weapon set-up
- Basic magnified optics fundamentals
- Ballistics and Zeroing
- Scope adjustments
- Weapon system integration and manipulation
- Unconventional (supported and unsupported) shooting positions
- Basic range estimation
- Maximum Point Blank Zero concept
- AR-type .308 or .300 BLACKOUT preferred (5.56 Rifle ok), ammunition and data combination capable of +/- 1.5 MOA precision
- Magnified optic of at least 1-4X (1-6X or 1-8X preferred for positive facial ID)
- 2-3 magazines
- Eye and ear protection
- Clothing suitable to the climate/weather
- Footwear suitable to movement and load bearing
- Load bearing pack
- Note taking material
- Bipod or front bag
- Shooting rear bag/sock
- Suitable headgear
Nice to haves:
- Spotting scope or at least 1X-7X binoculars
- Kestrel (or similar)
- Range finder
- Shooting mat
- Sturdy tripod
- Tools to adjust scopes, etc.
- Whatever snivel gear makes you happy!
Free loan of spotting scopes, rifle scopes and rifles are available (in limited quantities) at the Epping, NH location for those who may need to borrow them.
- Approximately 250 Match Grade/Tactical duty rounds
- Match grade ammunition is usually available for purchase at the Epping, NH facility in the following calibers:
- .223 (usually 75 and 77 grain)
- .308 (168 and 175 grain)
- .300 BO (110 grain, 125 grain)
The above is for informational purposes and the quantities and grain weights cannot be guaranteed at the time of your class! Please plan ahead!
Students should expect moderate physical activity to include running from firing point to firing point with necessary equipment. Shooting from unconventional positions can be mildly strenuous.