Our popular Handgun Orientation (101) course is now offered as a unique 6-hour session open to “seniors” (age 60 plus).
This 6-hour class is suitable for new gun owners seeking familiarity and comfort, as well as those who have not actively been shooting and wanting to refresh skills from the past. This course will be the perfect foundation for future Academy courses.
This comprehensive course provides hands-on training and the basic knowledge necessary to safely handle, load, fire and maintain most types of revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Classroom and range time offer ample opportunity to achieve the skills for success in a casual, stress-free environment. This course may also meet and/or exceed the training requirements of many states and localities to apply for concealed carry permits. Check with your local issuing agency for more details.
The following is a course outline of what you can expect to cover:
- Responsible firearms ownership and applications of the handgun
- Firearms safety for the home, workplace, and vehicle
- Safety concerns and practices while training and while carrying a firearm
- Safe use and handling of firearms
- Locking devices and techniques for firearms to prevent unauthorized access
- Potential dangers (penetration, ricochet, misidentification, accidental discharges, etc.)
- Ready positions
- Components and operation of modern pistols and revolvers
- Types, components, and purposes of modern ammunition
- Applicable laws relating to the possession, transportation, and storage of firearms
- General guidelines on interstate travel with firearms
- Administrative loading and unloading of pistols and revolvers
- Fundamentals of basic shooting techniques
- Preventative maintenance (cleaning, maintenance, inspection, and safe storage)
This course will be held in one of our indoor ranges during the winter months (November-March)
- Do not bring any firearms or ammunition to this course
- Please wear long pants with pockets, closed toe shoes (no flip flops or sandals), and a crew neck (T-shirt) or button-up shirt (no low-cut neck lines)
Tuition includes free loan of firearms, holsters, safety glasses and hearing protection at the Epping, NH location.
Ammunition is included in the cost of the course.
This course fulfills the Massachusetts Dept. of State Police's requirements for the Basic Firearms Safety Course needed to obtain a License to Carry (LTC) under 515 CMR 3.05(1)(b).