In this course, student instructors learn effective teaching methods in the practical application and use of a pistol.
Specific subjects covered include teaching marksmanship fundamentals, correcting the problem shooter, coaching and techniques, practical application drills, and developing courses of fire. Practical exercises are combined with survival learning theory and stimulus/response training principles. This training foundation will allow further development of an in-service, job-specific agency curriculum. Students who successfully complete the course will receive an instructor certification valid for three (3) years in the use and instruction of pistols. Students previously certified as SIG Sauer Pistol Instructor will be re-certified as an instructor and valid for a three (3) year period.
This training course is designed for the current or prospective agency firearms instructor. You must have documentation of successful completion of an entry level pistol skills program from a law enforcement agency or training facility.
Students failing to meet and maintain our safety requirements and/or who cannot meet and immediately demonstrate the minimum handgun skills required for the specific class may be removed from training. Please ensure you have read through the class description and fully understand our prerequisites before registering.
NOTE: Some classes are restricted to Armed Professionals only. Please see the schedule for details.
We hold our instructors to the absolute highest standard and we teach to the absolute highest standard. The SIG SAUER Academy wants to ensure all attendees have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to meet course standards. However, we understand each shooter is different and each shooter learns at a different level. Therefore, qualification standards allow students to quickly assess their abilities in a controlled environment in order to prepare them for the next level of training. We talk the talk and walk the walk. All SIG SAUER Academy instructors are required to pass a semiannual master level qualification course in order to maintain instructor status.
This shooting qualification is specifically developed to test the skills, safety, and techniques taught in this course. The qualification and standard will not be posted or made available.
The following is a course outline of what you can expect to cover:
- SIG SAUER Academy Principles of Firearms Training
- Objective Based Training Methodology
- Development of a use-of-force training program
- Survival learning theory
- Principles of adult learning
- Equipment analysis and selection
- Safe Gun Handling in any environment
- Coaching skill development
- Team teaching concepts
- Course design and structure
- Target selection and scoring
- Lesson plan development
- Administrative requirements of the firearms program
- Developing agency maintenance standards
- Point shooting techniques
- Precision shooting techniques
- Transition guidelines from point and precision shooting
- Target engagement from alternative positions
- Range operations
- Retraining the marginal shooter
- Alternative methods of firearms training
In order to receive a certificate of completion for this firearms instrucor course, students will be required to demonstrate proper safe gun handling of a pistol in any environment through 40 hours of training. Students will demonstrate proper application of the fundamentals of shooting and weapon manipulations in a variety of situations adhering to specific target standards established by the SIG SAUER Academy. Students will demonstrate proper teaching techniques during student-centered learning events.
- Pistol in good working order with at least 3 magazines
- Belt mounted, dominant side holster
- Magazine pouch
- Sturdy belt at least 1.5" wide
- Footwear suitable for rapid movement and turning
- Casual, comfortable clothing suitable for training in any weather
- Hydration system
- Sunscreen and bug spray
- Hat with a brim
- Hearing protection
- Wrap-around eye protection
- Note taking materials and highlighter
Tuition includes free loan of firearms, holsters, safety glasses and hearing protection at the Epping, NH location.
- Estimated round count: 1,500 rounds pistol
- For Epping, NH courses, non-toxic, non-jacketed FRANGIBLE ammunition may be required
- Ammunition is available for purchase at the Epping facility only